AssassinsDen
For full viewing of Assassin's Den, you must be a member of the site!

If you wish to see what we have to provide, please join up for full access! Upon joining, you will have access to:

-Fan Fiction
-Original Stories
-Discussions
-Rants and Reviews
-Role Playing
-Chat and Random Topics

Thank you!
AssassinsDen
For full viewing of Assassin's Den, you must be a member of the site!

If you wish to see what we have to provide, please join up for full access! Upon joining, you will have access to:

-Fan Fiction
-Original Stories
-Discussions
-Rants and Reviews
-Role Playing
-Chat and Random Topics

Thank you!
AssassinsDen
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for writers, roleplayers, and artists alike!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RulesRules  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Weekly Prompt
This week's prompt is:
Gently Entangled

Next prompt set up for 6/24.

Latest topics
» TW Forums|new forum
Fang Rants: Why I Hate People - FF.net Version Icon_minitimeSun Nov 05, 2023 7:08 pm by Salya

» 2020 Madness & Knight
Fang Rants: Why I Hate People - FF.net Version Icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2020 9:27 pm by NavyReservist

» Pointless Blabber Again! ver. 4
Fang Rants: Why I Hate People - FF.net Version Icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2018 11:32 pm by Snowball King

» > 'Cause When I'm With You <
Fang Rants: Why I Hate People - FF.net Version Icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2016 8:52 pm by Mystery

» Secret Santa 2016?
Fang Rants: Why I Hate People - FF.net Version Icon_minitimeSat Dec 10, 2016 6:58 am by Salya

» †The Doorway to the Darkness†
Fang Rants: Why I Hate People - FF.net Version Icon_minitimeFri Dec 09, 2016 5:22 am by Salya

» Knight's Updates!
Fang Rants: Why I Hate People - FF.net Version Icon_minitimeFri Dec 09, 2016 4:33 am by Okami Yammi

» Little Bird's Shop
Fang Rants: Why I Hate People - FF.net Version Icon_minitimeFri Dec 09, 2016 4:22 am by Salya

» Bed, Wed, Behead
Fang Rants: Why I Hate People - FF.net Version Icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2016 8:28 pm by NavyReservist

» Folder Submissions
Fang Rants: Why I Hate People - FF.net Version Icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2016 12:46 am by Snowball King

» All of the Complaining
Fang Rants: Why I Hate People - FF.net Version Icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2016 4:36 am by Okami Yammi

» Once Upon A Time OC (Yurenxtsubaki78)
Fang Rants: Why I Hate People - FF.net Version Icon_minitimeFri Nov 11, 2016 8:25 pm by NavyReservist

Points of Interest

Den Staff

Fang Rants: Why I Hate People - FF.net Version

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
MadHattersPassion
Zer0
Zer0
MadHattersPassion

PokéPartner : Fang Rants: Why I Hate People - FF.net Version Mightyena_by_creepyjellyfish-d7a49af

Fang Rants: Why I Hate People - FF.net Version Empty
PostSubject: Fang Rants: Why I Hate People - FF.net Version   Fang Rants: Why I Hate People - FF.net Version Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2013 10:40 pm

So, it's no secret that late last night both Oki and I had received very pretentious, very rude reviews from a self-imposed 'beta reader' on our stories Age of Plasma and All We Are, both of them Pokemon fics. Now, while at the time we had both worried that we had been making a mountain out of a mole hill today's events have proven otherwise.

Now, you can find these reviews MSTed by our lovely Tyriant here, here, and here.

Now, while Oki and I felt that the reviews were nitpicky and much of what she commented about was unnecessary bull that she could have learned had a reason for being there by waiting for updates both Oki and I took the concrit with a grain of salt and went back to revamp our chapters. We had willingly admitted that there were flaws that could be fixed and fixed them.

Now, I went back, looked at some of this user's older works and reviewed them. The newest thing she had posted was for a series I had no knowledge about. So, I went to her Pokemon fics and left a few reviews - as dated as they were.

Spoiler:

Now, it was after I sent these reviews that the person in question began to PM me. I will post the conversation in whole for all to see - my responses included. I am The Mad Hatter Effect. The other user's name will be left blank for politeness.

Quote :
Dates, friend

----: Not that it isn't interesting to hear about the older stuff, but you realize you're commenting on stuff that's a decade old? Surely there's something I'm doing wrong currently.

Th Mad Hatter Effect: And yet they are still posted and chalk-full of mistakes. It does not matter if it is decades old it is still posted and open for reviews. If you had learned anything you would go back and touch them up, flesh them out as I have done to Age of Plasma after much of your useless nitpicking that had nothing to do with the overarching story.

Reading some of your newest works you still suffer from the same things as well; no emotional weight behind anything you write, bland dialogue, and no showing and all telling about what's going on. Your characters are all bland with no inner personality that sets them apart. You tend to have an issue with weak plots as well that need to be fleshed out.

Without diving further into your newer fanfics I cannot dive further into any other glaring flaws you may have though judging by some of the snippets I have seen you haven't learned much at all.

----: You're not very good at this. If you could correct the newer stuff, you wouldn't have needed to go halfway down the page of my long list of stories first. Really, this is the lame gambit everyone tries. Tear my current stuff apart and I might actually care.

The Mad Hatter Effect: Funny. You actively go about tearing into other people's works for the slightest of mistakes but the instant it happens to you you go on about how it's ridiculous.

Here I am, spending my time to correct your god awful old works that you clearly do not care about. If you cared about anything you did you'd go back and clean up your mistakes. Silly me for thinking you were rational.

----: You may want to compare message lengths before saying I'm going on about it.

[that you clearly do not care about.]

Exactly! I said as much in the FAQ, and I think it's on my profile as well. Glad we're finally on the same page. New stuff criticism = oh no I screwed up :( Old stuff criticism = oh wow, I've improved so much since then, go me! You can see the problem with your current attempts now, I hope.

The Mad Hatter Effect: Actually, no you have not improved as seen by our 'Outside the Box Failures.' I don't think you get that. I suggest you get down off of your high horse and learn how to characterize. Learn to put EMOTION into what you write. SHOW what is happening do not TELL the reading audience. Give characters personality instead of making them bland card board cut outs.

Really, you're writing has no style, nothing that makes it 'pop' and thus makes it memorable. Your spelling and grammar are the ONLY things you have improved on. Other than that? You are a hack who thinks that she is the most acclaimed fanfiction writer ever. You can say what you wish, that you got better over the years but what I've seen? Your works are bland and dry and are thus easily overlooked.

----: Then go review the newer stuff if it actually sucks, instead of scrolling waaaay down to the old stuff. Not hard. Seriously, if you think I screwed that one up, go review it and tear it to bits. Otherwise, it's the same barking without bite everyone tries.

The Mad Hatter Effect: And I have, even though your newest one is not a fandom that I am familiar with. Ever wonder WHY the people are scrolling down to that stuff? We're not looking at dates, we're looking for fandoms we're familiar with. Do learn to have some manners and to maybe present yourself in a less 'butthurt' way. You're really making it obvious that this bothers you each and every time you PM me back about it. Ta~.

----: Yeah, 'twas noticeable with the vagueness and the missing of meaning. Was hoping you'd try bullshitting for a bit. Anyway.

Advise for Daughters is fine to read without canon and also confusing, so that'd have been a better target for ire. The Left Behind stuff is completely standalone. The drabble, for probably obvious reasons, does require you know the characters to work. But failing that, I do have more recent pokemon fanfic than what you reviewed. You still went waaaay down.

Actually, I will admit a bit of curiosity why some people do that. I mean, Inheritors is right there and clearly it's not hard to complain about, so why did you skip over that?

The Mad Hatter Effect: I've wasted enough of my time on your tedium, you see? Why should I continue to review your works if you don't even go back to fix your oldest works to stop receiving such reviews? Why should I continue to review your works when all you want to do is argue about semantics and dates? If it's posted, it's open for criticism. Age does not matter as you always have the option of updating the chapters/story with a new document.

----: Dunno why you were wasting your time reviewing those in the first place besides an attempt at grandstanding, so can't tell you why you'd continue. But certainly if your goal is to upset me you'll have to stick to the newer stuff, and if your goal is to prove I can't take criticism you'll have to tell me I'm doing stuff wrong until I throw a tantrum about NO U!

The Mad Hatter Effect: I did tell you what you were doing wrong but you are so obviously high on your horse you are blinded. Ta~.

----:Looks like it. Ah well, talk to you again when I answer PMs tomorrow!

On top of that, I had sent the following review, as she had requested, to her very newest drabble.

Spoiler:

To which this user sent me another PM and continued to argue with me there.

Quote :
Thanks!

----: [I get that drabbles are roughly one hundred or less words]

Actually a drabble's something that's exactly a hundred. Polar opposite of "roughly" anything, in fact.

How would you suggest I improve on the telling and showing business? What would be a better way to flesh out their motivations? Since Homura's the focus, I guess I'll ask about her specifically if you don't want to go into all the characters.

The Mad Hatter Effect: Oh, but dearie! You're being so hypocritical again. You say I cannot PM you back about reviews you leave ME (or anyone else for that matter) so why should I allow you to PM me about reviews I left? Practice what you preach, do unto others as you would have them do unto you, that sort of thing.

----: [You say I cannot PM you back about reviews you leave ME]

I what the where now? PM's are on. Clearly, since you're PMing me.

The Mad Hatter Effect: Oh, no, no~. See? I sent you a PM last night regarding ALL of your nitpicky reviews on Age of Plasma, dearie. You didn't respond. At all. If you don't extend me that common courtesy why should I extend it back to you?

----: Well yeah. I respond to those in batches because otherwise I'd miss people. I wouldn't have PMed at all but you were on a reviewing spree on the wrong side of the give-a-** line and I was hoping you might move. If you decided to not reply until I responded to your review PM or not at all, that'd be fine too.

The Mad Hatter Effect: Yes, right. And yet you actively ignore concrit that everyone gives to you. I've glanced at some of the other reviews you've received on your multi-chapter stories and they all say the same things I have. Either you are truly ignorant to your own flaws or you just pretend as if you care and dismiss what people say.

Now kindly go bother someone else - perhaps clean up your older works. Take pride on one's work and all, even if they are old.

P.S. "give-a-**"? Either cuss or don't. This kind of childish makes it hard to take you seriously, at all. Just like with your complaining of correct usage of semi-colons.

----: Either I take it or, like this review sadly is shaping up to be, there isn't anything useful because the person's only saying it because they're mad. Case in point...

[perhaps clean up your older works.]

My newer stuff sucks too, right? Why not tell me to clear that stuff up?

And you're the one with your swear filter on. I didn't type those asterisks.

The Mad Hatter Effect: The difference between your newer and older works? Grammar and spelling. That is literally the only difference. You want to improve? WORK at it. Do your research, read actual books and see how published authors write. I can talk until I turn blue in the face but that doesn't mean you'll actually take it and learn from it so why try? I left my reviews and that's all I'm obligated to do anything else is just superfluous considering you seem just as eager to argue and make a case of how great and mighty you seem to think you're work is even while blaspheming those who come to review your works after your nitpick-y ones.

----: Oops, this to. Well, answering a direct question when I asked how to make the character work better would probably have been more productive than repeatedly telling me you aren't going to.

Now, for one - and Oki can tell you more - England started the drabbles and they are all sorts of different set rules fro them. They are for contests, where writers must limit themselves to one hundred, five hundred, etc. etc. It is not solely one hundred anymore now that they have grown in popularity, if she had done any research this could have been learned on her own.

Secondly, not only has she legitimately admitted she will not listen to any constructive criticism she receives - even though she doles them out like candy herself - she is not at all a decent writer, she has no memorable style and yet calls people out for things the way that they write - such as various phrases that make things more poetic, etc. etc. - but she also holds up grammar and spelling at their height. While important neither of these things are what make a legitimately great story.

She does not wish to improve, she only wants to hold her own work up as the greatest things ever and berate the people who do not write things out as she wants them to be. When she is called out on her flaws she may ask what she needs to do properly however, she could have asked any number of other reviewers who curiously came to see how well she wrote after dolling out rude reviews to them. Because they are people she has targeted before she pushes the reviews away under the guise of "You're all just trying to make me mad! Teehee~" which is incorrect.

I could continue but I feel that the messages above speak for themselves at this point.
Back to top Go down
http://rams-desire.tumblr.com/
Tyriant
Tyriant

DigiPartner : Fang Rants: Why I Hate People - FF.net Version 013Calumon
PokéPartner : Fang Rants: Why I Hate People - FF.net Version 547

Fang Rants: Why I Hate People - FF.net Version Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fang Rants: Why I Hate People - FF.net Version   Fang Rants: Why I Hate People - FF.net Version Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2013 11:08 pm

This chick is pretty much the reason why I don't bother with most fanfiction sites on the web. These types of people think they're high and mighty, using poetic diction and giving people (halfassed) reviews on the story, but not bothering to take their own advice, much less listen to anyone else's advice.

And thanks for mentioning my review of her reviews. I hope they helped.
Back to top Go down

Fang Rants: Why I Hate People - FF.net Version
Page 1 of 1