AssassinsDen
For full viewing of Assassin's Den, you must be a member of the site!

If you wish to see what we have to provide, please join up for full access! Upon joining, you will have access to:

-Fan Fiction
-Original Stories
-Discussions
-Rants and Reviews
-Role Playing
-Chat and Random Topics

Thank you!
AssassinsDen
For full viewing of Assassin's Den, you must be a member of the site!

If you wish to see what we have to provide, please join up for full access! Upon joining, you will have access to:

-Fan Fiction
-Original Stories
-Discussions
-Rants and Reviews
-Role Playing
-Chat and Random Topics

Thank you!
AssassinsDen
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for writers, roleplayers, and artists alike!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RulesRules  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Weekly Prompt
This week's prompt is:
Gently Entangled

Next prompt set up for 6/24.

Latest topics
» TW Forums|new forum
Tips for PKMN Fan Fiction Icon_minitimeSun Nov 05, 2023 7:08 pm by Salya

» 2020 Madness & Knight
Tips for PKMN Fan Fiction Icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2020 9:27 pm by NavyReservist

» Pointless Blabber Again! ver. 4
Tips for PKMN Fan Fiction Icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2018 11:32 pm by Snowball King

» > 'Cause When I'm With You <
Tips for PKMN Fan Fiction Icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2016 8:52 pm by Mystery

» Secret Santa 2016?
Tips for PKMN Fan Fiction Icon_minitimeSat Dec 10, 2016 6:58 am by Salya

» †The Doorway to the Darkness†
Tips for PKMN Fan Fiction Icon_minitimeFri Dec 09, 2016 5:22 am by Salya

» Knight's Updates!
Tips for PKMN Fan Fiction Icon_minitimeFri Dec 09, 2016 4:33 am by Okami Yammi

» Little Bird's Shop
Tips for PKMN Fan Fiction Icon_minitimeFri Dec 09, 2016 4:22 am by Salya

» Bed, Wed, Behead
Tips for PKMN Fan Fiction Icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2016 8:28 pm by NavyReservist

» Folder Submissions
Tips for PKMN Fan Fiction Icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2016 12:46 am by Snowball King

» All of the Complaining
Tips for PKMN Fan Fiction Icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2016 4:36 am by Okami Yammi

» Once Upon A Time OC (Yurenxtsubaki78)
Tips for PKMN Fan Fiction Icon_minitimeFri Nov 11, 2016 8:25 pm by NavyReservist

Points of Interest

Den Staff

Tips for PKMN Fan Fiction

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dream Drops
Admin
Admin
Dream Drops

PokéPartner : Tips for PKMN Fan Fiction 2nged5x

Tips for PKMN Fan Fiction Empty
PostSubject: Tips for PKMN Fan Fiction   Tips for PKMN Fan Fiction Icon_minitimeWed Nov 21, 2012 11:47 am

~Pokemon Limit~

Only six. You are only to have SIX Pokemon in a team. There are no special exceptions for your character.

~The Names~

Most pokemon fanfiction I read will have Japanese names. This is all well and good if you're using the original characters Japanese names.

i.e. Ash was Satoshi, Volkner is Denji, Riley is Gen.

If you are not using the original Japanese names, than stick with an English name; Thus, less confusion on the reader’s part. It will also sound less odd when mentioning your character.

i.e. Ash, Misty, Brock, and Mitsuki.

See how awkward that looks?

Keep to the English if you're using the English names in Pokemon.

~The Character~

Even on a fictional plain, a character needs to be balanced. They have to have flaws and make mistakes; otherwise your character is only going to turn into a Mary-Sue/Gary-Stu.

Example of a Pokemon Mary-Sue is simple. A character that is beautiful and perfect in every way. They are skilled trainers without having to try. They may form bonds with pokemon within a moment whereas most would not.

They may have extremely rare pokemon (perhaps even several legendaries). All the male canon characters may fall head over heels for them in one glance.

Typically something you really want to avoid when creating a pokemon (or character) in general.

Nobody is perfect, even on the fictional plain.

~A Tragic Past~

This can also be qualified as a Mary-Sue quality only this would be named the 'Tragic-Sue'.

You want to avoid overly tragic pasts. Things like having one or both parents die, no friends, no one to turn to, are very annoying to read. Because all that character is fishing for is pity.

The canon characters pity that character and may go out of their way to treat that character differently. It also gives a canon character a false reason to love that character out of pity.

A definite to avoid; these characters are truly pathetic and I see them all the time.

Not only that, you don't normally see overly tragic ideas in Pokemon. Not to say it can't happen. It's just not a common theme.

~Pokemon Powers! No.~

I have recently found that people are giving their characters powers that reflect pokemon. This is a big no; Ultra super powers do not make your character likable. It is another Mary-Sue quality.

These powers include:

Speaking to pokemon.

Having the ability to turn into pokemon.

Being able to amazingly heal any pokemon without medication.

Being able to use pokemon attacks (despite being human).

Having to ability to strike up a bond with any pokemon (even if they're legendary or mistrustful.)

Avoid at all costs!

You may think these are cool powers or that they'll make the character likable. But you would be incorrect. These are some of the worst things you can give to a character. It's just another step into creating a monstrous Mary-Sue.

~Best of the Best? I think not.~

This is another that I see a lot. The character has all the badges (ribbons), has beaten the entire elite four in multiple regions (or won the Grand Cups, whatever you call it.), and has several extremely strong pokemon.

This is a huge no.

First off, if your character is already the best; then you've got no story to write out for. We already know they're the best, how much more can you give?

The chances of a character beating the Elite Four are slim. If Ash who is the original protagonist, can't do it, no character should be able to either.

It's always better to make a characters start out from the bottom and work their way up. It gives more substance for a plot. It will also make the character likable, being as they will be a character that is not that great at everything.

Everyone has to start out somewhere. You need to work out the character from the bottom and work the way up.

~Legendary Pokemon~

This is one that you really want to avoid. And I mean really want to avoid.

Giving your pokemon one or more legendary pokemon will make your character a Mary-Sue. No going back on that.

My pet peeve is that legendary pokemon or mistrustful and extremely hard to capture (even spot). It would not be realistic if you gave your character one or multiple legendary pokemon right off that bat.

It's very annoying to read how amazing your character and their legendary pokemon are.

Again, no legendary pokemon for your character; this is unacceptable in most reader’s eyes.

~Canon Characters and Love~

Obviously most fanfic writes are written for a certain canon character.

But there is the matter of falling in love instantly or too quickly; which is rather annoying.

Love takes time to build. Relationships don't happen quickly. (Ignore everything Twilight has taught you.)

Relationships take a lot of time to build and don’t happen quickly; especially if the two characters tend to butt heads.

Be careful on how you make a character fall for another one. Make it believable and make the relationship meaningful.

Also, draw out the romance story a little; like I claimed. Relationships take a lot of time to build. It's not going to happen quickly.

~The Unexpected Love Triangle~

I’ve seen some fics where a love triangle just starts to form without any real reason. It’s like the author got another guy in the fandom they liked and started a love triangle between who the original story was supposed to be for and this new canon character.

It’s annoying to read.

Mainly because the two simply fight over her love and the entire thing gets nowhere at all.

If you have some other character you like, don’t make a love triangle appear out of nowhere. It doesn’t make sense and it’s annoying for the reader.

~Skill~

As I had claimed in the 'Best of the Best' part, your characters skill level is another thing you need to focus one. Obviously, you don't want to make your character extremely skilled.

If your character is too skilled, they will most likely be undefeated; which to most readers is not something we prefer to read about.

It's good to have skill but not so much that you don't have to put any effort in what your character is trying to achieve.

Having too much skill sucks the fun out of writing for the character.

Try making your character lose a few times. Make them learn from their mistakes. Make them understand the reason why they're losing.

~Being the Bad guy....~

is not always a bad thing. A character who is the villain gives them a wide variety to personality and back stories.

It also might give the reader something interesting to read. Most characters are made to be the 'good guys.' Honestly, it gets a little boring to read. By creating a character who the 'bad guy', you'll give your readers something new.

~Lastly~

Remember to write for the fun of it, really. Just because these tips are here doesn't mean I'm trying to attack or even put anyone down. I want to help people avoid making characters that will simply result in a Mary-Sue/Gary-Stu.

There's no fun reading about Mary-Sue characters and their awesomeness.

Hope you enjoyed reading this and hope that it helps you out.
Back to top Go down

Tips for PKMN Fan Fiction
Page 1 of 1