AssassinsDen
For full viewing of Assassin's Den, you must be a member of the site!

If you wish to see what we have to provide, please join up for full access! Upon joining, you will have access to:

-Fan Fiction
-Original Stories
-Discussions
-Rants and Reviews
-Role Playing
-Chat and Random Topics

Thank you!
AssassinsDen
For full viewing of Assassin's Den, you must be a member of the site!

If you wish to see what we have to provide, please join up for full access! Upon joining, you will have access to:

-Fan Fiction
-Original Stories
-Discussions
-Rants and Reviews
-Role Playing
-Chat and Random Topics

Thank you!
AssassinsDen
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for writers, roleplayers, and artists alike!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RulesRules  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Weekly Prompt
This week's prompt is:
Gently Entangled

Next prompt set up for 6/24.

Latest topics
» TW Forums|new forum
What is a Mary-Sue? How do I know I'm Writing One? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 05, 2023 7:08 pm by Salya

» 2020 Madness & Knight
What is a Mary-Sue? How do I know I'm Writing One? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2020 9:27 pm by NavyReservist

» Pointless Blabber Again! ver. 4
What is a Mary-Sue? How do I know I'm Writing One? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2018 11:32 pm by Snowball King

» > 'Cause When I'm With You <
What is a Mary-Sue? How do I know I'm Writing One? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2016 8:52 pm by Mystery

» Secret Santa 2016?
What is a Mary-Sue? How do I know I'm Writing One? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 10, 2016 6:58 am by Salya

» †The Doorway to the Darkness†
What is a Mary-Sue? How do I know I'm Writing One? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 09, 2016 5:22 am by Salya

» Knight's Updates!
What is a Mary-Sue? How do I know I'm Writing One? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 09, 2016 4:33 am by Okami Yammi

» Little Bird's Shop
What is a Mary-Sue? How do I know I'm Writing One? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 09, 2016 4:22 am by Salya

» Bed, Wed, Behead
What is a Mary-Sue? How do I know I'm Writing One? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2016 8:28 pm by NavyReservist

» Folder Submissions
What is a Mary-Sue? How do I know I'm Writing One? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2016 12:46 am by Snowball King

» All of the Complaining
What is a Mary-Sue? How do I know I'm Writing One? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2016 4:36 am by Okami Yammi

» Once Upon A Time OC (Yurenxtsubaki78)
What is a Mary-Sue? How do I know I'm Writing One? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 11, 2016 8:25 pm by NavyReservist

Points of Interest

Den Staff

What is a Mary-Sue? How do I know I'm Writing One?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Dream Drops
Admin
Admin
Dream Drops

PokéPartner : What is a Mary-Sue? How do I know I'm Writing One? 2nged5x

What is a Mary-Sue? How do I know I'm Writing One? Empty
PostSubject: What is a Mary-Sue? How do I know I'm Writing One?   What is a Mary-Sue? How do I know I'm Writing One? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 21, 2012 11:46 am

There are several different forms of a Mary-Sue. They have many faces and many names. Mary-Sue even has a brother who is a bit more complicated. The male version of a Sue is often called Marty-Sue, Marti-Gra, Mary-Stu, Gary-Stu, and several other male variations of a Mary-Sue. Some people may even refer to a Male Sue as a John Doe.

Some Mary-Sues are just self inserts; the author putting themselves in the story. They turn themselves into something they're not. Think you're ugly? Make yourself beautiful in the story. Have no talent? That's okay! You can make yourself into an amazing singer, poet, writer, or artist, whatever interests you!

Normally, most self inserts turn into Mary-Sues. Not all of them, however, for I've run into a few that actually take on all the flaws of the author. Nothing is changed for them. It's just them in a story.

The orgin of the name " Mary-Sue" came from a 'Star Trek' fan fic written a long while back by an author who created a character at the age of fifteen and a half. She became a Lieutenant at this age. She seduced Captain Kirk and Spock during which she revealed she was also half Vulcan. Afterwards, she ran the 'Enterprise' while everyone else was ill, nursed them back to health, and then died.

Lovely, isn't it?

~

Can't tell if your character is a dreaded Sue? Here are some signs.

~Her name is...~

- Her name is a surname of some canon character the Suethor likes or is otherwise related to at least one canon character.

- Common names with unusal spelling. These usually or K's or Y's in weird places. I ran into one whose name was spelled 'Jessyca' which would be the incorrect spelling for 'Jessica'. However, upon messaging this user, she claimed that her name was spelled that way, fully admitting that the character was a self insert. (Not all self inserts are bad in my book, by the way. As said above, I've run into a few good ones.)

- Names that are rather overused or meant to describe the appearance or object that's connected to the character. (Raves, Luna, Anya, things like this.)

- Names that combined the above characteristics. A character from the worst fan fiction ever written is a perfect example: Enoby Darkness Wray.

~Common Traits~

- Eyes or hair that changes color. Hair that takes more than five words to describe.

- Super amazing special magic powers ir unusual appendages such as wings.

- Ability to master anything and everything without having to really try.

- Cute baby imaginary creature pet such as ancient dragon, baby griffin, unicorn, things of this nature.

- The ability to make any male character (original or not) fall head over heels for them. Or, failing that, just having the author play god and force the story to bend at their will.

- The character is normally sexually attractive or attacked to a canon character.

- Sparkles where sparkles shouldn't exist (Twilight reference).

- No actual real flaws. (Being too beautiful or not being able to play an instrument is in a flaw. Nor is being clumsy.)

- Obvious author self inserts.

~

Because there are so many kinds of Suesin the world, listing them all would be next to impossible (and I really don't have that time to do that.) However, I'll throw out a few general Sue's that are typically seen in writing.

These examples, however, will appear in the next chapter. Because there's a lot of typing out that I don't have time to do. So, hopefully this will provide some answers and a little help with Mary-Sues.

Thank you for reading.
Back to top Go down
Rinko
Scooter
Scooter
Rinko

DigiPartner : What is a Mary-Sue? How do I know I'm Writing One? 048Renamon
PokéPartner : What is a Mary-Sue? How do I know I'm Writing One? 570

PostSubject: Re: What is a Mary-Sue? How do I know I'm Writing One?   What is a Mary-Sue? How do I know I'm Writing One? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 21, 2012 11:00 pm

Regarding the unusual spelling of names, what if the name of the character is from a different country (like the name comes from Ukraine or Spain for example, so the Ukrainian/Spanish name has Ukrainian/Spanish spelling). Is her oddly spelt name still a Mary-Sue trait?

I was just wondering~.
Back to top Go down
Manic
Zer0
Zer0
Manic

PokéPartner : What is a Mary-Sue? How do I know I'm Writing One? Grenin10

PostSubject: Re: What is a Mary-Sue? How do I know I'm Writing One?   What is a Mary-Sue? How do I know I'm Writing One? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 21, 2012 11:14 pm

Rin Rin Signal wrote:
Regarding the unusual spelling of names, what if the name of the character is from a different country (like the name comes from Ukraine or Spain for example, so the Ukrainian/Spanish name has Ukrainian/Spanish spelling). Is her oddly spelt name still a Mary-Sue trait?

I was just wondering~.

I don't really see anything particularly wrong with it; I normally look things up on 'Behind the Name' to make sure that the odd spelling actually exists before I go about tagging it onto a character myself.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is a Mary-Sue? How do I know I'm Writing One?   What is a Mary-Sue? How do I know I'm Writing One? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What is a Mary-Sue? How do I know I'm Writing One?
Page 1 of 1