AssassinsDen
For full viewing of Assassin's Den, you must be a member of the site!

If you wish to see what we have to provide, please join up for full access! Upon joining, you will have access to:

-Fan Fiction
-Original Stories
-Discussions
-Rants and Reviews
-Role Playing
-Chat and Random Topics

Thank you!
AssassinsDen
For full viewing of Assassin's Den, you must be a member of the site!

If you wish to see what we have to provide, please join up for full access! Upon joining, you will have access to:

-Fan Fiction
-Original Stories
-Discussions
-Rants and Reviews
-Role Playing
-Chat and Random Topics

Thank you!
AssassinsDen
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for writers, roleplayers, and artists alike!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RulesRules  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Weekly Prompt
This week's prompt is:
Gently Entangled

Next prompt set up for 6/24.

Latest topics
» TW Forums|new forum
Writing PKMN Fanfiction; How To Icon_minitimeSun Nov 05, 2023 7:08 pm by Salya

» 2020 Madness & Knight
Writing PKMN Fanfiction; How To Icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2020 9:27 pm by NavyReservist

» Pointless Blabber Again! ver. 4
Writing PKMN Fanfiction; How To Icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2018 11:32 pm by Snowball King

» > 'Cause When I'm With You <
Writing PKMN Fanfiction; How To Icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2016 8:52 pm by Mystery

» Secret Santa 2016?
Writing PKMN Fanfiction; How To Icon_minitimeSat Dec 10, 2016 6:58 am by Salya

» †The Doorway to the Darkness†
Writing PKMN Fanfiction; How To Icon_minitimeFri Dec 09, 2016 5:22 am by Salya

» Knight's Updates!
Writing PKMN Fanfiction; How To Icon_minitimeFri Dec 09, 2016 4:33 am by Okami Yammi

» Little Bird's Shop
Writing PKMN Fanfiction; How To Icon_minitimeFri Dec 09, 2016 4:22 am by Salya

» Bed, Wed, Behead
Writing PKMN Fanfiction; How To Icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2016 8:28 pm by NavyReservist

» Folder Submissions
Writing PKMN Fanfiction; How To Icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2016 12:46 am by Snowball King

» All of the Complaining
Writing PKMN Fanfiction; How To Icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2016 4:36 am by Okami Yammi

» Once Upon A Time OC (Yurenxtsubaki78)
Writing PKMN Fanfiction; How To Icon_minitimeFri Nov 11, 2016 8:25 pm by NavyReservist

Points of Interest

Den Staff

Writing PKMN Fanfiction; How To

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Rekka Pop
Axton
Axton
Rekka Pop

PokéPartner : Writing PKMN Fanfiction; How To 509

Writing PKMN Fanfiction; How To Empty
PostSubject: Writing PKMN Fanfiction; How To   Writing PKMN Fanfiction; How To Icon_minitimeSat Dec 01, 2012 3:55 pm

A follow up post to Tips for PKMN Fan Fiction.

There are many, many Pokémon fics out and about and because of this it may be difficult to be able to come up with creative ideas or twists to make yours stand out among the others. Here, I'm going to discuss some basic topics that can be used with a twist to make your fanfiction more interesting.
Pokémon
1.a What types of Pokemon should I use?
Now, this subject might be a no brainer but you'd be surprised at how often many fanfiction authors use the same type of Pokémon again and again. What you need to realize is that there are only so many times that a reader can read through a fanfic that has a rambunctious Pikachu or a timid little Oshawott before we get bored of seeing them.

So, what can you do to swap things up?

The answer is quite simple, just use different Pokémon. Take note of which Pokémon are most popular and try using different ones. Am I saying that you can't use popular Pokémon? No. I'm saying that you should try to mix and match things up.

A few examples of Pokémon most often seen would include Eevee and its evolutions, Pikachu, Kirlia, Gardevoir, and others like them.

A few examples of Pokémon that are rarely used would be Tropius, Magmar, Scizor, Whiscash, and Vullaby.
1.b How should the Pokémon interact with the OC trainer?
This is also a very good question and the most common way that is seen is that there are almost no conflicts between Pokémon and their trainer in many Pokémon fanfiction. This would be unrealistic. So what are some ways that can make a story more interesting?

For starters you could have a Pokémon not be interested in listening to the trainer and being all around rebellious. But you have to be careful with this, you can't just suddenly have the Pokémon trust the trainer implicitly after only a couple of chapters of this being the case. You need to gradually have trust form between the two and have the trainer show that she or he really cares about the Pokémon in question.

Another way is for Pokémon and trainer to be friends but argue and snit with each other all the time. Really, the possibilities are endless, here. Pay attention to Pokédex entries as well to get a feel for what Pokémon would be most likely to act with others. For instance a Pokémon like Deino, which is blind and tackles and bites everything around it, would not be an easy Pokémon to train and be around. You can't have it all amicable and affectionate in the traditional sense because that's not how they are.

Just remember, like all people have personalities and there are many of them so do Pokémon. Mix and match traits and see how things play out. Just don't make all of your Pokémon get along with the trainer who caught them right away as that is highly unrealistic. Would you want to listen to the orders of someone who battled you and then forcibly captured you and took you away from your home?
1.c What about shinies and legendaries?
This tends to be a ball dropper for many. Legendaries in general on an OC's team are frowned upon. Even many of the canon characters only see the legendaries and never even attempt to catch them. The exceptions to this tend to be seen as villainous and trying to use the Pokémon's abilities for their own gain or cause.

So it's usually best to avoid all manner of having any sort of legendaries on your team.

Likewise shiny Pokémon can be iffy for many. Many are turned off of the story instantly if the character in question has one. If you absolutely feel your character needs to have one than try to limit yourself to one. A shiny appearing in-game is one in a thousand after all. It's the rarity that makes them so coveted.
Character
2.a Why does my character need flaws? Why does my character need to grow throughout the story?

A character needs flaws because it's important to one's growth. You learn from your mistakes and your flaws. They are what make conflict flow in the story, they are what help make things interesting. Now, you may be asking what kind of flaws are you talking about? I'm speaking of anything that would hold your character back.

Does s/he have a short temper that gets him/her into trouble? Maybe s/he rebels against authority a lot and has to be punished repeatedly for his/her actions. A deep, grating phobia over something like a certain type of Pokémon or an actual phobia can prove to be detrimental to what one attempts to do. Even having the habit of closing one off from everyone can be perceived as a flaw.

The problem next is how to go about establishing these flaws. You cannot just say "Character X is closed off" and then not show it. Instead of telling us, show us. Show us that s/he does not work well with others, withdraws from everyone and generally tries to stay by him/herself. That is how you show it and not tell us what you want. The same goes with everything you write for.

Be creative with your flaws but beware faux flaws. What are 'faux flaws'? They are perceived flaws that do not actually detriment the character in anyway or challenge him/her in what they attempt to do.

Common faux flaws include; an inability to cook, clumsiness, unable to do something artsy, etc.

As for why the character needs to grow throughout the story - well that's what happens in life! It shows us that there is thought behind your story, that you care about your own creations and want to tell a story to us about what happened to him/her. In order to do that your creations must be able to change and develop into more complex beings throughout the chapters you write.
The Plot
3.a What kind of conflict should I focus on?
All stories need a central conflict and many side conflicts to make it run and make it interesting. If there is no conflict than there is nothing for the readers to be interested in. We will not be able to see the characters struggle and overcome the obstacles placed in their way and grow because of it. We will not be able to relate to them without conflicts to see deeper and more sides to these characters.

So what kind of conflicts can you use? Well, let's break it down into a list of questions. Each one will focus on a different conflict a plot can have.
Writing PKMN Fanfiction; How To 19 Is there an organization in the region of choice? If so, which one?
Writing PKMN Fanfiction; How To 24 If you don't want to use an established organization as the central antagonist, than what kind of organization or group of people are your antagonists? What are their goals? Why are they striving for those goals?
Writing PKMN Fanfiction; How To 19 If there's not a group or an organization than who is the antagonist? What is his/her goal? Why is s/he striving for that goal?
Writing PKMN Fanfiction; How To 24 What is stopping the protagonist and the love interest from confessing their love?
Writing PKMN Fanfiction; How To 19 What kind of internal complications (i.e. does one close him/herself off from the other? is one a little abusive? does one not believe they deserve the other? etc. etc.) in a relationship would the protagonist and the love interest have? What would they have to do to overcome them?
Writing PKMN Fanfiction; How To 24 What kind of external complications (i.e. is someone butting into the relationship - why? do people object to the relationship - why? are they in grave danger and trying to save the other by avoiding them - why?) would result in a relationship between the protagonist and the love interest?
Writing PKMN Fanfiction; How To 19 What kind of obstacles does the protagonist have to overcome to reach his/her goals? Will s/he lose anything if s/he strives for the?
There are many more conflicts that can be added, as well, these are just the basics. Never stop thinking and planning things out. In fact, the idea is to make it rough on your characters so that they grow and learn to love and appreciate what they have and achieve by the end of the story.
3.b What about the plot itself?
What about it? Be creative! There are a number of things you can do for a Pokémon fic, you just have to have the ability to make interesting twists and changes to the plots to make them more original.

Here are some starting and very basic ideas that you can shape and mold into something that is your own.
REMEMBER, YOU CAN ALWAYS MIX AND MATCH PLOT ELEMENTS AS WELL.
Writing PKMN Fanfiction; How To 22 Sucked into the game/cartoon/manga.
Writing PKMN Fanfiction; How To 18 Turns into a Pokémon.
Writing PKMN Fanfiction; How To 22 Challenges the League.
Writing PKMN Fanfiction; How To 18 Becoming a Coordinator.
Writing PKMN Fanfiction; How To 22 Becoming a Ranger.
Writing PKMN Fanfiction; How To 18 A Team Rocket/Plasma/Galactic/Aqua/Magma member trying to become good.
Writing PKMN Fanfiction; How To 22 A Team Rocket/Plasma/Galactic/Aqua/Magma member fic in general.
Writing PKMN Fanfiction; How To 18 Team Rocket/Plasma/Galactic/Aqua/Magma won and got their way : protagonist attempting to correct the wrongs made by the victorious team.
Writing PKMN Fanfiction; How To 22 Shadow Pokémon.

Love Interests
4.a Who should I pick for the love interest?
That entirely depends on you. Most fanfiction writers prefer to write for characters that they have an affinity for - nothing wrong with some wish fulfillment so long as the fanfiction is well-written and interesting, after all.

If you want to challenge yourself I would recommend writing for characters who are lesser known - side characters. Perhaps you like Riley or Eusine or even Steven Stone but notice a lack of fanfiction on them. Don't let the lack of fanfiction on your preferred character deter you. Try your hand at it, see what you come up with and if you enjoy writing for that particular character.

Just because a character is popular does not mean that you have to write for them.
4.b What about multiple love interests?
I would implore you to keep it no more than a love triangle and only if you are confident that you can make the conflicts realistic and the relationship progression intriguing. Too many times have I seen a writer botch a love triangle solely because they wanted their self-insert OC to be lavished with attention from both and not have to pay forward any effort into picking who she really wanted to be with in the end or thinking of the consequences (or even receiving any consequences).

That's really all I can say for now without getting even more long-winded. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask them below.
Back to top Go down
NavyReservist
Wild Ace
Wild Ace
NavyReservist

DigiPartner : Writing PKMN Fanfiction; How To Pbucket
PokéPartner : Writing PKMN Fanfiction; How To 037

PostSubject: Re: Writing PKMN Fanfiction; How To   Writing PKMN Fanfiction; How To Icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2012 4:29 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! With your permission I would like to save this page for future reference I've been trying to work on a Pokémon fanfiction but haven't liked what I write! I believe this will help me tremendously. Nod
Back to top Go down
Rekka Pop
Axton
Axton
Rekka Pop

PokéPartner : Writing PKMN Fanfiction; How To 509

PostSubject: Re: Writing PKMN Fanfiction; How To   Writing PKMN Fanfiction; How To Icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2012 4:32 pm

NavyReservist wrote:
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! With your permission I would like to save this page for future reference I've been trying to work on a Pokémon fanfiction but haven't liked what I write! I believe this will help me tremendously. Nod
That's why it was posted. Use it as much as you need.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Writing PKMN Fanfiction; How To   Writing PKMN Fanfiction; How To Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Writing PKMN Fanfiction; How To
Page 1 of 1