AssassinsDen
For full viewing of Assassin's Den, you must be a member of the site!

If you wish to see what we have to provide, please join up for full access! Upon joining, you will have access to:

-Fan Fiction
-Original Stories
-Discussions
-Rants and Reviews
-Role Playing
-Chat and Random Topics

Thank you!
AssassinsDen
For full viewing of Assassin's Den, you must be a member of the site!

If you wish to see what we have to provide, please join up for full access! Upon joining, you will have access to:

-Fan Fiction
-Original Stories
-Discussions
-Rants and Reviews
-Role Playing
-Chat and Random Topics

Thank you!
AssassinsDen
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for writers, roleplayers, and artists alike!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RulesRules  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Weekly Prompt
This week's prompt is:
Gently Entangled

Next prompt set up for 6/24.

Latest topics
» TW Forums|new forum
Writing Guide: Full Stops and Point of Views Icon_minitimeSun Nov 05, 2023 7:08 pm by Salya

» 2020 Madness & Knight
Writing Guide: Full Stops and Point of Views Icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2020 9:27 pm by NavyReservist

» Pointless Blabber Again! ver. 4
Writing Guide: Full Stops and Point of Views Icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2018 11:32 pm by Snowball King

» > 'Cause When I'm With You <
Writing Guide: Full Stops and Point of Views Icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2016 8:52 pm by Mystery

» Secret Santa 2016?
Writing Guide: Full Stops and Point of Views Icon_minitimeSat Dec 10, 2016 6:58 am by Salya

» †The Doorway to the Darkness†
Writing Guide: Full Stops and Point of Views Icon_minitimeFri Dec 09, 2016 5:22 am by Salya

» Knight's Updates!
Writing Guide: Full Stops and Point of Views Icon_minitimeFri Dec 09, 2016 4:33 am by Okami Yammi

» Little Bird's Shop
Writing Guide: Full Stops and Point of Views Icon_minitimeFri Dec 09, 2016 4:22 am by Salya

» Bed, Wed, Behead
Writing Guide: Full Stops and Point of Views Icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2016 8:28 pm by NavyReservist

» Folder Submissions
Writing Guide: Full Stops and Point of Views Icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2016 12:46 am by Snowball King

» All of the Complaining
Writing Guide: Full Stops and Point of Views Icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2016 4:36 am by Okami Yammi

» Once Upon A Time OC (Yurenxtsubaki78)
Writing Guide: Full Stops and Point of Views Icon_minitimeFri Nov 11, 2016 8:25 pm by NavyReservist

Points of Interest

Den Staff

Writing Guide: Full Stops and Point of Views

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
MadHattersPassion
Zer0
Zer0
MadHattersPassion

PokéPartner : Writing Guide: Full Stops and Point of Views Mightyena_by_creepyjellyfish-d7a49af

Writing Guide: Full Stops and Point of Views Empty
PostSubject: Writing Guide: Full Stops and Point of Views   Writing Guide: Full Stops and Point of Views Icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2013 11:37 am

Full Stops
Full stops are your periods. They end the sentence, after all. When you shouldn't use a full stop is during dialogue, if you have a dialogue tag. I'll show you an example of how you should and shouldn't writing out dialogue with the dialogue tag added with it.

Correct Use: "No one said he could go to the park this late," Anne said.
---> Because you have the dialogue tag "Anne said" after the statement you do not use a period after "late," instead you would use a comma.

Incorrect Use: "They were pretty big, actually." Bill noted.
---> Notice how there is a period between "actually" and the quotation? That would be incorrect due to the dialogue tag "Bill said" being used to designate who spoke. Change the period to a comma and it will be correct.

Point of Views

Point of views are very popular - especially within fanfiction. The thing is you have several options from not only the standard three (first person, second person or third person) but there's also the characters you can choose from to be the focus of a chapter or the entirety of the story.

Writing Guide: Full Stops and Point of Views 151st Person POV This is definitely one of the most difficult POVs to work with. Being as its from the narrator's head, what s/he sees, hears, feels and thinks that is what you must describe through narration. You can't have omniscient narrator and you can't have the narrator character know for sure just what the other people around them are feeling or thinking because, just like in real life, you can't know for sure what other people feel or think.

Even better this writing style, while difficult, can let you get away with a little more. Because people frequently think in fragments the use of them every so often can work to your advantage. You can insert your narrator character's thoughts onto the page without it breaking too far from the story because it's from his/her head but you can't insert other characters thoughts in the narration for that same reason (barring things where the narrator character has mind reading powers, e.g.).

The way your narrator character talks should also be used within the narration. Does your character use bigger words? If so then put them in the narration. Is your character a street kid and would speak with a lot of slang and simpler words? Then make your narration reflect that!

Writing Guide: Full Stops and Point of Views 102nd Person POV When writing this is actually not a recommended POV to write form. Yes, you're inserting your read but that's an easy way to lose readers as well. Because you've now made the main character the reader you're forcing thoughts, actions and any habits and actions from the character onto them. It can have negative repercussions and make readers stop reading solely from that.

Writing Guide: Full Stops and Point of Views 143rd Person POV Like with 1st Person it is vital to make the narration match with whatever character the narration is focusing on. For instance, if you were writing a Devil May Cry fanfiction and one chapter had its focus on Dante and the other on Vergil, what would the differences in your narration be? For Dante, considering he's a happy-go-lucky but lazy sort of guy the narration should be rather crude and not use many adjectives, that's not how Dante speaks or acts so the narration needs to show that so that when you swap the narration's focus to another character your readers can tell who they're following. If it swapped to Vergil it should be noticeably different; the narration should be more flowery, using more intelligent wording and sounding more formal to contrast to Dante's narration parts/chapter.

Like with 1st person, the focus of the narration should focus on one character at a time i.e. their thoughts, feelings, what they notice, etc. etc. Unlike 1st person you can't get away with things like fragments in your narration because you are no longer writing as if it's a stream of consciousness from the narrator character.
Back to top Go down
http://rams-desire.tumblr.com/
Snowball King
Seasonal Secret
Seasonal Secret
Snowball King

DigiPartner : Megadramon
PokéPartner : Grovyle

PostSubject: Re: Writing Guide: Full Stops and Point of Views   Writing Guide: Full Stops and Point of Views Icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2013 8:16 pm

Ah, I needed to see this. I've always had issues with Full Stops, I almost always forget about that. Thank you!
Back to top Go down
https://archiveofourown.org/users/EndlessSummer
MadHattersPassion
Zer0
Zer0
MadHattersPassion

PokéPartner : Writing Guide: Full Stops and Point of Views Mightyena_by_creepyjellyfish-d7a49af

PostSubject: Re: Writing Guide: Full Stops and Point of Views   Writing Guide: Full Stops and Point of Views Icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2013 8:24 pm

Knight Amaterasu wrote:
Ah, I needed to see this. I've always had issues with Full Stops, I almost always forget about that. Thank you!
I'm glad it helped. I used to have a lot issues with them myself. That and the difference between then and than.
Back to top Go down
http://rams-desire.tumblr.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Writing Guide: Full Stops and Point of Views   Writing Guide: Full Stops and Point of Views Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Writing Guide: Full Stops and Point of Views
Page 1 of 1